Small arms, often referred to as firearms, are man-portable lethal weapons for individuals to use that can expel or launch a shot, bullet, or projectile by the action of explosion.
Small Arms include revolvers, pistols, and long guns, namely rifles, assault rifles, submachine guns, etc. firearms that consist of several parts. The standard components of small arms include a barrel, a magazine, handguard, pistol grip, trigger, and trigger guard.
The three primary groups of parts included in almost all firearms are action, stock, and barrel.
- Action: The part of a firearm that includes all the moving parts that load, fire, and eject out the cartridge cases.
- Stock: A wood, metal, or plastic frame that holds the barrel and action and allows the gun to be held firmly.
- Barrel: The metal tube that is bored out provides an exit path for the discharging projectile, which is either rifled or smooth.
Breakdown of Basic Components of the Small arms
- Bore: It is the inside of the barrel. “Smoothbore” weapons (typically shotguns) have no rifling. Most handguns and rifles have “rifling.
- Breech: The breach is the end of the barrel that is attached to the action part. It is the essential part of the firearm that holds the firing mechanism where the cartridge is inserted.
- Bolt: The mechanical part of the firearm blocks the rear chamber while firing but moves aside to allow another cartridge to be inserted.
- Cylinder: It is a cylindrical rotating part of a revolver that contains multiple cartridge chambers.
- Chamber: The portion of the barrel which supports the cartridge case when it is in the firing position.
- Hammer: A device that strikes the striker or cartridge primer directly detonates the powder that successfully discharges the gun.
- Magazine: The magazine is a spring-operated device for storing cartridges in cases a repeating firearm to load into the chamber. The magazine may be either detached or can be fixed to the firearm.
- Trigger: That part of a firearm mechanism is moved manually to cause the firearm to discharge.
- Trigger Guard: The trigger guard is that portion of small arms that wraps around the trigger to supply both protection and safety.