130+ Killed by Child Soldiers Last Month in Northern Burkina Faso
A massacre carried out in northern Burkina Faso last month, which killed more than 130 people, was carried out by child soldiers between the ages of 12 and 14, the united nations and the government of Burkina said.
In the evening hours of June 4, a group of jihadists linked to the Islamic State and Al Qaeda raided the village of Solhan and opened fire on residents, and burned homes.
According to the government of Burkina Faso, the jihadist groups are using small child soldiers to carry out militant activities.
We strongly condemn the recruitment of children and adolescents by non-state armed groups. This is a grave violation of their fundamental rights,” the U.N. children’s agency UNICEF said in a statement on Thursday.
Despite the intervention of UN peacekeepers and international forces, attacks by Islamic extremists continue unabated across West Africa’s Sahel region, including neighboring Mali and Niger.
According to reports of the UN since 2018, the West African countries have seen a rise in attacks on civilians, due to which more than 1.2 million are displaced, many of whom have been forced into makeshift camps dotted across the arid north, east, and center.
Over 2,200 schools have been closed about one in ten affecting over 300,000 children.